Monday, April 4, 2016

#118 - THE PEANUT GALLERY

Here are the comments I've received:

April 3, 2016 at 6:58 PM

Suggestion time
Some true talk
Suggestion time
Some insect talk
Suggestion time
Tat talk
Suggestion time
Insitu in USA....
HEH HEH.....just bustin Mikes chops


(John) Apple

April 3, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Here's your orange.


(Chad Campbell)

***********************

"Some true talk"

I expect John wants me to talk about araneomorph spiders. I just did! Did you see the article on Heteropoda sp. I co-authored with Tom Patterson in the Journal of the British Tarantula Society 31(1)? I know you did. I saw your comment. That wasn't enough?!?

For those of you who don't know my bro Apple like I do, he's a simple guy. With full-color complete arm tattoo sleeves, long grey billy goat beard and heavy arachnid-themed silver jewelry I'm sure he scares the neighbors. I know I do. But we all know that he is just an alien robot masquerading as a human and programmed to spout everything about native "true" spiders.

Q: "Hey John, do you need another beer or want to order some food"

A: "I could eat. Do you know that Araneus trifolium make it sausage pizza has white bands on the legs and I'll have a Tiger after this hit, but the brightest orange shamrock spiders can be called pumpkin spiders. Chicago pizza is awesome."

This is how our conversations go. John has his own language. You could ask him about ISIS and he will reply with some obscure araneomorph that only lives under yellow pine boards in limestone cellars near meth labs.

@phormingochilus Chad "Advan" mountain man Campbell is, on the other hand, a man of few words – and many beers. "Here's your orange". A conversation starter if there ever was one. He's not like an apple.

Back to John ... "insect talk" ... mosquitos and flies suck. I harm no other creatures, but will smack them dead with pleasure. Done. Seriously, I love all creepy crawlies, but am no entomologist. My favorite insects are very difficult to photograph, especially if you have a short temper and little patience like me. Fuck taking photos of butterflies. I gave up on that in Suriname in 2012. Dragonflies and damselflies... easier but I don't have the patience to sit in wait. The dobsonflies I found outside our bungalows in Costa Rica this past December were pretty damn cool. When I travel with Paul Carpenter and Guy Tansley, they know all the bugs and identify them for me. But I'll stick to spiders and herps...

"Tat talk" - you and I have loads. What else is there to say. Actually as they're complete sleeves they are many that have become one. I figure I'm at about 70-80 hours of ink. Looking forward to another 5 or 6 from Mark in England in 40 days and a couple from Brandon as well. I think that's all my readers really want to hear about tattooing. Let's move on ...

"Insitu in USA" - you're going to have to translate that from Apple to English for me. Of course, the term "in situ" is Latin for "on site" or "in position". I most commonly use it when I share my photographs. Strictly, in situ (at least as it refers to photography) means that the live subject was photographed (or filmed) in nature exactly where it was found. However, IMO, it qualifies as in situ if it was found in nature, but photographed in a controlled setting perhaps away from collecting site before being released back where it was found.

But what does "Insitu in USA" mean? I'll give you a little tease ... this phrase may become more important to me soon. There are loads of interesting arachnids in the USA, and I don't always have to circumnavigate the globe to find the "grass is greener" exotics. Ponder on that. Let's just say that I intend to take a trip to Texas in late April and it will just be a beginning.

MJ

PS - As a call back to the recent blog entry, last night's season finale of The Walking Dead was gripping. Terror, brutality, cliffhanger.

8 comments:

Steve Fox said...

What part of Texas, if you don't mind me asking?

Anonymous said...

insitu in Texas.....that sounds like a great trip and wish I could go but other promises have been made...
something for you to photo while your down there....this is a task I know as your a mygal guy....Digueta canaties....you will understand why when you see them
yes Chicago pizza is the bomb and around meth houses I usually find therids and some loxoceles

mj said...

I normally run the Rio Grande from Laredo to Big Bend. Don't know that I'll have that much time. I'm a herper too so places like Comstock and Langtry are good areas.

I'll have to Google that one Apple. If you have any specific localities and habitat for any specific arachnids I am all ears. FUck responsibilities. Join me.

mj said...

Google didn't like your typing. It asked me if I meant "Digital Canaries". A droid songbird?!? WTF?

You meant Diguetia - and only you would find a six-eyed spider that makes a tent-web among cacti to be the most interesting thing I could look for.

Unknown said...

Real question you want? Why wasn't the Haplopelma doriae type examined in the paper to warrant the transfer? It is well known that that spider is nothing like the mainland(what we use to know as) "Haplopelma". How did AS get access to the C. paganus, meanwhile others have tried for years?

Anonymous said...

yup Diguetia Mike.....
then there is Loxoceles deserta and blanda....very cool spiders indeed
Hexura and Microhexura also come to mind for you diplorid lovers....
lets not forget Olios....a personal fave of mine...
shit Mike I would love but as you know I cant ... previous commitments
But we will do a good weeklong spot of hunting somewhere....I might even teach you a thing or two

Apple

Anonymous said...

Diplurid lovers

mj said...

Type access sounds like a question for Lord Smithi himself ... As for H. doriae, it is my understanding that the project will continue and I expect other publications from other authors. However, at this time, I am not going to be involved. I am going to be focusing on my editing and publications, unrelated writing and a new ongoing arachnophotojournalism project ;)