Tuesday, March 29, 2016

#114 - RANDOM SHITE

Been about 11 days so I figured I'd at least write something today, even if, topically, it may spray about like an unneutered male alley cat.

The big news is that the first issue of the Journal of the British Tarantula Society [31(1)] with me as its sole editor and designer has hit mailboxes around the world, including those in America. At the same time, I released BTS Newsletter 1, and it was made available for member download.

I actually caved on my principles and asked Mark Pennell to once again make me an Admin of the BTS Facebook Group and Official Page so that I could post announcements of the print journal arrival, and the fact that both the Interactive PDF web version and the premier newsletter (in the same format) were available for download.

Obviously, in order to be a Faffbook Admin I needed to have an account. Well, the weekend before this past, Chad Campbell outed me on FriendFace by letting it be known that I have created what is now my 4th incarnation on FB. I've noted elsewhere that I had done so, but it was mostly overlooked. The sole purpose of creating a fourth page for myself was to create a business page for Triggercontrol Tactical and I tried to be stealthy. I'm not accepting friends for the most part. It's not for that. I won't use my page or follow a news feed. And, just because I'm a BTS FB Admin again, does not mean that I will be moderating those pages or posting personal things there (e.g., all the photos I used to post there). I will only make posts related to my committee responsibilities: the publications, first and foremost, and then the events, membership, etc.

Ironically, when Chad stayed with me 10 days ago, I finally talked him into using my preferred social media - Instagram. Give Chad a follow @phormingochilus. Of course, I hope you're following at least my @exoticfauna (if not also my @dailyhandgun and @triggercontroltactical). If mine and Chad's pretty pix don't satiate you (I realize mine are all over the spectrum), give Jason Newland a follow @newlander85.

One of the many humorous occurrences during Chad's two-night stay in my home was when he and I began to put away the beer and decided to harass Tom Patterson. He was out at a concert or something and unreachable. So Chad then dialed the Scher's. For those of you don't know, Scott & Debby Scher are the owners of Arachnoboards. They are old friends of mine and the three of us did a lot of the organization together for their ArachnoCons in 2006 and 2007. Chad's never met them in person, but of course he works with them as a moderator for Arachnoboards. Debby made the mistake of answering the phone. They live in NYC and it was about 2 a.m. there. Unlike single gypsies like Chad and I, Scott and Debby have a family including two kids. The call started awkwardly, but eventually we got to exchange some laughs, some of which did come at the expense of Tom. (He knows what I'm talking about; we'll leave it an inside joke).

Speaking of Arachnoboards, I also have stated that I am just as much done with it as I am with Faffbook. To be fair, although I've been a member for 13 years, all I've used it for over the past 9 or so is to post advertisements, occasional photos and announcements of updates to my Tarantula Bibliography. I was just discussing with Chad whether I would keep updating TTB and keep it alive. Don't worry. I can't see giving it up just yet. And, as far as AB, I just posted an advertisement there a little while ago. What? An ad? Don't worry - I'm not selling spiders ;). I mentioned in a previous blog entry that I brought back some BTS T-shirts during my Lectures visit. I mostly have Ladies Cut shirts available, and I posted an ad on AB to sell them. Click on the preceding link if you're interested.

So, what else is new? Well, after Chad's visit I am happy to report that I am now down to 34 tarantulas! Getting closer to ZERO all the time ... It's a nice little group now. My spider room has become my office. My office just happens to have two four foot black wire shelving units of tarantula enclosures along one wall and a breeding arena. Nothing fancy. No thousands upon thousands to feed. Here it is:



Speaking of office terrariums ... maybe a snake for my new TCT office ... Hmm ...

Over the past three decades plus, I've had many frantic dancing around the topic conversations with landlords. Whether looking to lease commercial or residential space, I was always finding myself shocking a realtor or property owner by saying, "well, um, I, um, kinda have a, sorta, pet business", "Oh really? Is it live animals or just supplies?" "well, um, I guess, you might, um, call them live exotic animals" "What are we talking about here?" "Well, I breed snakes, geckos and tarantulas and raise roaches and beetle larvae and small rodents to feed them!"

I can't tell you how many times I've had that conversation or a much less honest, indirect white lie version of it. As they say, it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

I've also experienced the top secret, smuggled in during the night, don't let the neighbors see scenarios. Very often those lead to the "oh, fuck. It's time for routine roach and ant spraying at the apartments". I can tell you from experience that this situation may require some under the cover of darkness in the wee hours of the morning panic or full blown anxiety attacks as you try to stash 100 terrariums into a friend's place.

So, after many years of smuggling animals into apartments, and looking for business space just for the enjoyment of shocking questioning lessors, I now am doing the same thing. "So, you're not one of those "exotic animal" breeders who wants to bring snakes, spiders and roaches onto my property, are ya?" "Um, well, um, no, sir, I'm, well, I used to be like that, but now I'm, kinda, sorta in need of classroom space to teach civilians how to defend themselves with handguns and get them qualified to be able to hide a weapon on their person at all times". Fart in church. Yeah, I've always been you're traditional sorta guy.

Well, anyway, just wanted to say hello. Also wanted to let you know that I've advertised what I have left in BTS T-shirts on AB and the brand new BTS Journal and Newsletter are available to BTS members. Drop me a comment below and let me know you're still reading. Ask a question. Any question? I don't censor and never lie. It will keep this conversation going.

All the best, M

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

my neighbors think im quite odd and figure its better to leave old Apple alone....I still under the cover of darkness and earliness pack for shows and such
Wait for it...
If it was not for you Mike I also would not be gramming it.... or in the BTS....or a lotta other shit
good times at your house as always, now if only Chad will stop bringing the worst tasting beer the north has to offer to your humble abode
Apple

mj said...

Can always count on you for a comment John... At least I know I'm not typing to myself.

Chad likes his hops. He likes his ales. He prefers warm fermented brews made with top-fermenting yeasts. And loads and loads of hops. Did I mention hops? I prefer crisp cold (bottom) fermented lagers, although there are plenty of times I do enjoy a good ale and drink Guinness and other stouts.

Happy to be hospitable ... regretfully, I don't think I'll be in town for your next visit to our region. As far as Chad goes, think the next time I see him will be up at his place for a Minnverts meet if my schedule allows.

Unknown said...

Hi Michael, thanks for keeping the blog alive! In your next blog you mention keeping dart frogs. Would you do a sort of off topic blog on your methods of keeping and maintaining them? Yes, there are many care sheets on the subject, but I'm curious to hear your experiences and tidbits of advice.
Hey, maybe some ackies would provide a more entertaining TCT office display. ;)