Friday, April 8, 2016

#120 - RANDOM SHIT & THE BTS EXHIBITION

I posted in the comments of yesterday's "Happy Birthday" blog stating that those of you who are eager beavers and read my blogs as soon as they post are getting rough drafts. It a strange dichotomy. I painstakingly edit and rewrite my articles. I complete re-work articles submitted to the BTS for publication in the Journal or Newsletter. I mercilessly weigh every word and look for any that can be removed. I run through spell-check set to UK English (for the BTS). I scrutinize, analyze and circumsise. Then I get a fresh set of eyes on it, usually those of Stuart Longhorn and Guy Tansley.

However, this blog is just my free-form speed typing, and I can type pretty damn rapidly. I usually hit the spell-check, but it mostly highlights technical and arachno words that just aren't in this Blogger's dictionary. After pecking out my blog entry I click publish. Then I re-read and find errors. Then an hour later I remember something I wanted to add, or clarify, or delete. Then I notice other minor errors and I end up editing each blog entry another several times.

The point: I usually post early in the morning when the sun is still sleeping and I am on my first cup of coffee. The smart reader will wait until afternoon, or perhaps the following day, to read my blog. It evolves over its first few hours online. I know I should spend time editing it, but this isn't a Journal article. It's just my conversation (albeit one-sided, for the most part) with you. It has warts. That may add character, but those like Mr. Patterson and Mr. Campbell, who I know catch up weekly, get to read finished products. The handful of people that view the post within minutes of posting are getting only the initial draft.

*****

One thing I edited into yesterday's entry was further comment about one unnamed dealer (you're smart, you'll figure it out). I'm fresh out of fucks and out of business so I really am not bothered, but I just wanted to educate y'all about the disturbing trend where American importer dealers are really making money for their German exporters and are struggling themselves because the American tarantula hobby is shit - at least from a commercial standpoint. One ill-advised practice is buying what you can't afford and having to quickly pay off an order after the fact. I prepaid every import I every transacted. I am a cash sort of guy. I don't believe in credit. I can afford what I want. But struggling dealers will try to put up half and pay half upon arrival. That means they must quickly make some sales and get money to send to Germany. YES, YOU ARE SUPPORTING GERMAN DEALERS not "buying American". So, especially in the case of the dealer I hinted at, who knows even less about business than he does about tarantulas, he has developed a secret list of friends and loyal customers. He offers species dirt cheap, shitting on market values, to his exclusive group of secret handshake buyers so he can get the funds to pay back an exporter who told me point blank in person at the BTS Exhibition last year that he can only stay in business if he has this American distributing his spiders for him. So our American friend is just a tool. Double entendre perhaps? Allegedly? Everything is alleged ;)

*****

Since I mentioned the BTS Exhibition, I may as well go on about how excited I am for the May 22, 2016 event. I no longer buy anything and have allowed my import permit to lapse. So, why am I so damn excited. Because it is my 10th trip to the UK and I will be spending a week before the Exhibition in my home-away-from-home Bristol with my brother-from-another-mother Mark Pennell and his lovely wife Kim and my special "niece" Brandon! Plus the complete crew of Pennell family and friends that have become my second family. Only about 35 days until I catch yet another flight to Dublin and then on to Bristol. One week later the Pennell's and I will drive 90 minutes northeast to the Midlands where the event will be held this year for the first time at the Warwickshire Exhibition Centre. We will have 2200 square meters with about 190 tables of arachnids, phasmids, mantids, beetles, books, art, supplies, etc. etc. etc. I care nothing about the live goods, but will look for books and art. I also am the official competition judge and photographer this year. That is another duty that Chairman Peter Kirk has passed on to me. My dear mates Rayzor and Ange Hale are the hosts and organizers of the Exhibition, which this year will celebrate its 31st year. It's a fabulous weekend, despite the fact that everyone is so friggin' busy. The Committee is, the traders are, and even the buyers are distracted and only focused on bug buying. As I've said before, the February Lectures is the better place to socialize.

*****

I certainly am anxious to travel again. I just don't feel right when I am at home for any stretch of time. However, my new business is getting closer to opening and - IF ALL GOES WELL - I will begin moving into my new space just before I leave for the UK. So, I will have to reduce my traveling a bit as I focus on earning a living once again. I prefer retirement and could just keep coasting along, but I need to keep busy and get out of the house.

I do think I'll be making a quick Texas camping trip in two weeks. I originally had another 3 week road trip to Arizona planned, but cancelled that to focus on other responsibilities. However, a couple hotel rooms are paid for and can't be refunded so I think I am going to go chase a few spiders and do some photography. I have a brand new one-man tent and a new sleeping bag designed for side-sleepers like me that I am looking forward to trying out. I think I'll hit the State Park near Laredo and the same on Lake Amistad near Del Rio. Hopefully I can scare up some A. anax and A. moderatum and maybe some herps.

For those keeping score, it continues to rain, sleet, snow here and I'd love to get south. As I type this (on the 8th of April), I am watching some snow fall.

All the best, MJ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

personally I enjoy the unabridged versions of your musings...it lets everybody know that there is hillbilly in you...
of course minus the billy goat beard and blade of grass in your mouth
keep it real Mike
Apple