Sunday, May 8, 2016

#121 - SUNDAY, FUNDAY #WHATEVER

LONG TIME NO RANT, EDUCATE, RAMBLE, STORY TELL, AND INFO DUMP ...

I've been busy with my new business. I've been busy writing music. I've been busy shooting. I've been busy working out. I've been busy watching the NHL playoffs.

I have NOT been busy with anything that really relates to BIG HAIRY SPIDERS except for working on the next issue of the BTS Journal. That leaves me with little to offer in the way of ranting, educating, rambling and storytelling.

I'm sure many of you are sick of my mentions of the BTS. I understand. It's a "foreign thing". Many of you haven't bothered to become members of the best and world's longest ongoing tarantula society. Those of you who have know what's what. But really my BIG HAIRY SPIDER activity is primarily associated with my BTS duties. And Friday I leave again for the UK - this time for the 31st BTS Exhibition. I'll post pix from the weekend here and on my @exoticfauna Instagram.

Yesterday I wrote one of the few German dealers I actually like. Olaf Hopp is a really nice guy and he has disassociated himself from Michael Scheller who, in my experience, is a bit of a prick. Olaf's English is better too. For those of you who may not know, Olaf used to be Michael's assistant of sorts, but they've had a falling out and now Olaf has surpassed Michael IMO, at least as far as tarantula dealers go. Both Germans survive mostly because they take advantage of the American market. Olaf supplies Paul Becker and Scheller supplies Ken MacNeill. These two Americans support German sales instead of focusing on strengthening the American marketplace. Neither are much in the way of breeders. I'm surprised both (or either!) are still active, especially "the bug guy" who should have tossed it in some time ago. That's one sad commentary on American tarantulaculture and its commerce.

This year we have booked more traders than ever before so there will be new faces and I expect plenty to marvel at if not buy. The phasmids always catch my eye. However, not only does the USDA frown on such magnificent creatures, but I also don't really desire periodic bramble collecting.

Anyway, Olaf and I exchanged our greetings and arranged to get together in the British Midlands and he sent me a list of what he currently has available. It was odd to review a somewhat lengthy and diverse list and have ZERO interest in anything on it. The only thing I really am still working with are two African species and a couple of Pokies. I could use some young of those species for future breeding males, but Olaf was offering none of the above. He does have one juvie female H. pulchripes that I may have to pick up. But shopping isn't really something I do any longer. I could buy a bunch of young M. balfouri for future males for the five females I still have, but wouldn't it be much more pleasant to just sell the five females? Less is more. Down to 30 spiders now. 25 would be even better.

So, it's Sunday, Funday and it's a beautiful day. I'll watch some soccer and hockey. Workout. Clean the house. Next Sunday, Funday I'll be chillaxing in Bristol, England and emptying Tiger bottles with my mate Mark.

I know some people are looking forward to an ATS conference in Tucson this July. It seems the ATS will continue only to perpetuate their only success - the con. I have no intention of registering and officially attending, but perhaps will make a surprise visit as Arizona is definitely calling my name. Again.

Have fun. I'll do a little reporting from the BTS Exhibition on the weekend of the 21-22. MJ



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sunday is always funday