Friday, July 1, 2016

#127 - END OF AN ERA

And you thought I was a quitter when I shut down Michael Jacobi's SPIDERSHOPPE ...

Last night I vaporized ExoticFauna.com. It launched in 2000 and had a major overhaul in 2013. After 16 years online, I have deleted all the pages and files. This includes The Tarantula Bibliography, which I created in 2005 and had over a ten year run. I have zero desire, no interest, y nada tiempo to continue to update changes in theraphosid taxonomy. It also includes the digital versions of the seven issues of ARACHNOCULTURE I published between 2005 and 2007. If you hadn't read them by now you weren't likely to.

The new ExoticFauna.com is simple. It has a single, elegant page with links to where I reside in cyberspace. Most importantly, it links to my SmugMug page where my photography lives. I will be uploading hundreds of more photos to this site as time allows. Other links include this blog, my YouTube channel and social media. It also mentions my business website - TriggercontrolTactical.com.

I posted a screenshot of the new single-page site to my Instagram feed moments ago. I won't do that here and instead hope you'll click on the link above and give the new site a visit. It wouldn't take more than five minutes to read the whole page. Minimalistic. Concise. Refined.

Then again maybe you don't give a fuck. I'm not bothered.

All the best, MJ

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Your website hurt my vampiric eyes. LOL
The font is really bright, but then I don't have any lights except for black lights and really dim ones in my house, so my opinion might be towards the darker spectrum of things and may in fact, be worthless :)

mj said...

To be honest, I don't understand. But then I don't understand a home lit any by dim light and black light. ;) The bulk of the single page site is a while background with dark grey text so it should be easily readable. Perhaps I will tweak the text a shade or two darker. Is that what you mean by "the font is really bright"? The header and footer have light text on a dark purple-black or darker grey. Anybody else finding it difficult to read? It looks pretty crisp and clean to me. Obviously each monitor is different and everyone's eyes and perception are different. But my aging and failing eyes find everything easy to read.

Unknown said...

I'm a creature of darkness so everything is bright to me lol :)
But yes, that's what I meant. A darker font would be my suggestion.
I'm never easy to understand so it's all good :)
I actually enjoyed your business website. I May need someone to teach me how to shoot a gun at some point. ;)

Unknown said...

Sorry to see a great reference for the Tarantula hobby go into the wind ;(. Watched both parts of the video and thank you very much loved them both. hope you stay somewhat active on the blog and it doesn't disappear as well. I also have trouble with the light gray text on the white background even projected to my 50" tv, love the read though. peace
Steve

Anonymous said...

I think Mike will always be around...lurking in the shadows till some douchenozzle comes up with a bunch of misinformation that needs correction.....
some things I think will never die such as my love for trues spanning decades....
I also see you Mike still wanting to flip that log or look in that palm boot or tree crevase...
I enjoy this blog and our friendship