Tuesday, October 20, 2015

#86 - THE END OF ARACHNOGATHERING

It's official. I won't be hosting a 3rd Annual ArachnoGathering. As I mentioned in earlier blog entries, I did consider it and I did go as far as sending Russ Gurley an email to offer to do a public lecture at the mid-March 2016 NARBC Tinley Park show in return for once again being provided with the facility and A/V equipment for ArachnoGathering. I am not surprised I have received no response. There are few people who are worse at replying to emails than Gurley.

Fact is I didn't miss not being at the Tinley NARBC earlier this month one single bit and have no intention of returning even to visit. In fact, the event was the same weekend I had a little ArachnoParty at my home for close arachnofriends and I didn't even realize it. The guest of honor was by best mate Mark Pennell from Bristol, UK and the next day I took him and Chad shooting and later that night surprised Mark by taking him to a Chicago Blackhawks game. Never once did NARBC cross my mind.

As I mentioned in the last blog, I will be spending the first week of March in the UK for the BTS Lectures. I've repeatedly informed y'all that the BTS is my primary focus and responsibility related to arachnoculture as I cease most other arachnocultural and herpetocultural activities while moving into full retirement. I have no interest in trying to arrange another ArachnoGathering and having to spend the weekend in Tinley, especially ten days or so after returning from England. Much like ArachnoCon, which I was heavily involved in, ArachnoGathering is going to have to go down in American history as two done and out.

I thank those who came out to one or both of the ArachnoGatherings I held. I thank the donators of raffle prizes that helped me raise money for the ATS in the first year and USARK in the second year. I especially thank my speakers: Christian Elowsky who spoke both years, Chad Campbell and Jason Newland who joined Christian and myself during the inaugural event, and John Apple and Sarah Schrader who shared the stage during the second AG.

To be honest I just have no interest in the American hobby anymore and no inclination to involve myself further. As my Brit mate Mark would say, "end of".

Most of my arachnofriends are in Europe. I will see many of them at the BTS Lectures. The European hobby is so much stronger and the enthusiasts are so much more serious about breeding and learning. I will focus my efforts there through my roles as BTS Journal Editor and North American Coordinator. But I am glad to have good arachnofriends here, some of which came out to my ArachnoParty on October 9. There will be another next time Mark visits. Thanks to my bud Chad Campbell and David Lawrence for again coming down from Minneapolis. I hope next time some others from Minnverts will join them. Thanks to John Apple, Rob Mitchell and Norman Culp for coming over from Michigan. Thanks to local arachnofriends Jason Newland, Randy Martinez Jr., Randy Martinez, Sr., Margaret Larson, Jaimie Little and Scott, Brian "Gator" aka "Hulk" and my bonus dad Joel. The booze and Tiger lager was flowing, Chad got us all playing "My Penis, My Vagina", and the catered ribs and Italian beef were supplemented by Margaret's awesome falafel and many snacks.

All the best, MJ

No comments: