Friday, October 23, 2015

#89 - NO TOUCHING!

You want to interact with a non-human life form? Get a dog or a cat. A dog is man's best friend. There is no better pet. A cat is typically indifferent and aloof, but some will receive pleasure from being stroked. You like things more exotic? I'm not going to get into how exotic you like your stroking. That's a whole different blog. But if your tastes go beyond canine or feline consider a rat or a ferret or a parrot. The latter are messy and often noisy and, although I wouldn't trade my 25-year old dusky Pionus Jesse for the world, I'd talk anyone and everyone out of owning a parrot or other bird. Ferrets have their own undesirable traits. They are musky and messy and their waste is vile. Go with the rat. It's by far the best small animal pet. Intelligent, quickly docile and within two or three years or so they are gone. There's no long term commitment.

But keep your grubby paws off of tarantulas and other arachnids. As they say in "Arrested Development", NO TOUCHING! Same holds true in most cases for reptiles, and certainly for soft, moist and permeable skinned amphibians. These are terrarium pets. Your pleasure comes from observation, not interaction. Your joy comes from simulating their natural environment and watching them thrive within it. They receive no pleasure from interaction and, in fact, can be put at great risk. Your touching them is, at best, very fucking selfish and, at worse, reckless and dangerous.

The British Tarantula Society at has always been at the forefront of opposition to handling tarantulas. We've had a no handling policy for years. Handling photos are forbidden on the BTS Forum and BTS Facebook page and any handling at BTS events including the Exhibition results in immediate expulsion of the offenders. By contrast, the American Tarantula Society and American forums like Arachnoboards have historically done little to discourage the handling of arachnids. I believe that through the efforts of individuals such as my bud Chad Campbell handling pix are now banned from the ATS Facebook page, but over the years the ATS had refused to take a strict stance against the endangerment of arachnids through handling. In fact, much to my horror, then ATS President Darrin Vernier actually began his lecture at one of the Phoenix ATS conferences with a scorpion in his mouth. I think this behavior alone is indicative of the vast difference there has always been between the American hobby and its European counterpart. Imagine the world's premier serious arachnocultural organization (the BTS) tolerating this sort of bonehead activity by its leader.

Tarantulas and other arachnids are fragile creatures. They are also primitive organisms that act solely by instinct. They gain nothing from being touched, but touching them puts them in dire danger. Believe me, I don't give one shit if a knucklehead like Vernier or Mike "Troll" Dame is stung by a scorpion or bit by a centipede. I don't give one shit if a Poecilotheria envenomates some selfish cretin who thinks he's "cool" for "gets a thrill" from being reckless and holding it or allowing it to crawl on himself. May each asshat get bit. I do, however, care that these beautiful creatures are treated with such disregard. Again, the spider or scorpion or centipede gains nothing from interaction. It has no positive outcome, only a chance for injury or death. So if you handle for no reason you are a shit and you deserve a bite. Or me to punch you in the throat.

Yes, I have handled tarantulas. I have used my hands to quickly transfer a male to a female's cage for breeding. I have quickly scooped up a spider to move it to another container, but more often than not am sensible and use a catch cup if I feel it is more safe. The fact is, that I feel I can often move some spiders more safely and with less stress by acting as a "bridge" of sorts between one container and another rather than trapping it in a cup and brushing it back out. The spider touches my hands for seconds and no more. I seek no thrill. I don't pose it for a photograph so I can stroke my ego or prove my masculinity. I don't put them in my fucking mouth to shock or amuse or entertain.

Yes, I have allowed others to handle tarantulas. I used to do some educational programs and also worked with people with true arachnophobia and used incredibly docile species like Eupalaestrus campestratus or Grammostola pulchripes to dispel irrational fear. Years ago I would allow children to watch me handle these spiders in a controlled manner only inches off a carpeted floor to prevent risk of injury due to a fall. However, I do not advocate this today. I have friends who make their living with educational programs using invertebrates and they can teach the children or other participants about the amazing lives of arachnids just fine without allowing interaction. Still, some degree of touching may be used in arachnophobia workshops under great supervision while exercising extreme care. Nothing is black or white. It would be hypocritical for me to have a 100% anti-handling stance when I have done so and even recently have moved males into female cages by allowing them to quickly move across my hand and into a new enclosure. I've had 40 years of practice and I am certain that I don't put the spiders at risk. Otherwise, I never touch a spider and, in fact, leave them completely alone in natural terrariums with a great deal of cover. I leave them to as natural a life as I can provide. So, let's say I am 99% against any touching and that most of the "educational handling" I did in the past I would not do today.

I wonder how people who post photographs of holding species with significant venom like Poecilotheria tarantulas or giant centipedes justify their behavior. Do they really think that a serious arachnoculturist will hold them in high regard for their recklessness? Why is it that they feel the need to photograph handling and share the images? Do they willing advertise their foolishness or are they expecting admiration? The only respect they will get is from other asshats. Is this the audience they seek approval from? Is there one person ignorant enough to think that Troll is cool because he holds giant centipedes? Or do most, like me, immediately lose any respect? I have no use for anyone who sensationalizes the creatures I love. I have only disdain for those who threaten the hobby by risking personal injury that might lead to fuel for antis (e.g., irresponsible behavior with dangerous animals). I have only contempt for anyone who risks even slight injury to a creature that has no say in its situation.

It is time for more organizations, groups, social media groups, forums, etc. to take an anti-handling stance. I condemn any that permit handling photos and indirectly advocate the practice. Terrarium pets should be provided with as close to natural conditions as possible and be enjoyed through observation alone. It is their incredible behaviors, beautiful form and amazing appearances that give us something. They have no affection to give like true pets. There is no basis for interaction. What we can give in return is proper environmental conditions, conscientious husbandry and a HANDS OFF mentality to keeping terrarium pets.

MJ






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is something i am also a bit passionate about......even refusing sales to some doucheknocker that asks to hold a spider....
Dont touch
Apple

Unknown said...

Do you remember the old ATS conferences in Carlsbad, where they would have a handling workshop with Rosemary Kraft? Everyone would sit around in a circle as she passed around adult Poecilotheria and Hysterocrates to anybody sitting there, including kids lol. Things have changed though, that shit would never fly at a conference these days.

I take great pride in telling people that I've never been bit by a tarantula. I think most people are expecting that I get attacked by them on a daily basis. I recently got into it with 15 year old kid, who's holding a P. murinus in his profile picture. He claims(bragged)to have been bit over ten times. When I explained that he's doing something wrong, if he's been bit 10 times already, I was soon shut done by his "fans" telling me what a asset he is to the hobby lol. He's fucking 15 !

mj said...

Yeah, Tom, the Kraft handling thing was thought nothing of back in the day. But that is the ATS for ya. I also take pride in telling people how few bites I've had. I can't claim zero, but the reality is that my Haplopelma lividum bite THIRTY YEARS AGO is really my only real tarantula bite (with any consequences) and I've not only kept and sold thousands upon thousands upon thousands, but have traveled the world "catching" wild tarantulas. Anyone who brags about bites or puts themselves in harm's way or, more importantly, endangers a tarantula or other arachnid or sensationalizes them by handling, is a complete and utter prick. Yeah, some fifteen year old punk is quite the asset. Stay away from forums and Faffbook groups. They will rot your brain. Y'all need to learn that.

UndercoverPete said...

It's important to remember that it's not just the dangers of venom that are a cause for concern. I was approached for information by Julie Tillotson, nurse consultant at Bournemouth Eye Unit, RBH concerning the transferal of urticating hairs to the eyes and throat. She reported seeing an increase in this issue and decided to submit a paper to the British Medical Journal which was included in the BTS Journal (28-2) May 2013.
It just doesn't make sense to handle them but unfortunately common sense isn't always the priority of some.